Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Expectations


August 29, 2012
            I watched Mrs. P lead a discussion on the annotations of Hotel California for 3 periods today. What I found fascinating was that even by the 3rd time she was hearing these interpretations, she acted like every single one was brand new to her. She offered to let me lead the discussion in the tiny 16-student AP class during 5th period. It didnt go like I imagined it would. I thought that choosing the tiny class would result in a good discussion because they all already knew each other and there was already a foundation of trust and respect. But they were just not into it at all, and it totally left me flabbergasted. The other 3 periods that did this activity (all over-crowded, with 40+ students) were very active in the conversation and seemed to enjoy it. But not when I lead it with 5th period. Maybe I didnt make it interesting enough. I heard laughter every time I turned my back to write something they said on the board. I made stupid spelling errors when I was writing on the board.  Im not sure what else I did wrong. I felt pretty confident about the topic since I watched Mrs. P do it 3 times before.  Its like the students couldnt take what I had to say about it seriously. I asked Mrs. P what I did wrong. She said that I needed to explain why we did the activity and why it was useful to them. She's right...I did skip over this portion, mostly because I got flustered with how terribly the discussion was going.  I guess she heard a student mutter that annotations were pointless, so obviously discussing the why portion of this activity was more important in this period than the othersand naturally I messed it up. It makes me nervous for the future when I have to take over. Granted I will have the Honors classes, not the AP ones,  but still. I havnet had a chance to work with the Honors kids yet and I hope that they enjoy the stuff I have planned for Beowulf. I am not a master in this piece of literature, and I am going to try my best to make sure it does not show. Maybe they will be kinder than the AP kids, though I cant blame them for their disgustbecause I remember having a student teacher for a period when I was in AP English my junior year of high schooland she botched her lesson too. The AP kids have high expectations of their instructors, and I just didnt meet them today, I guess. Im not letting it get me down or letting it discourage me. Im just disappointed that it didnt go as well as I had seen it go in my head.  Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day. Week one is half over.  Only 15 and a half more weeks to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment