Tuesday, February 5, 2013

1st interview

I can't say that it went well. It was scary. Not what I expected. 

I was interviewed by the principal and another woman who gave me her name, but not her position in the school. She seemed to like me, but the principal asked all the hard questions. Many of them were situational in nature. For example, "How would you handle a student who does no classwork, but aces your test? What grade would you give him?" or "What are the pieces of literature that freshmen must read?" and "What about a student who can't write a paragraph?" I told him I would start with the basics, like topic sentences, etc. He said, "What if they can't write a topic sentence?" My face may have looked something like this:  0.o  .... My answer was to start over, calling "Topic Sentence" something else, because they've probably been hearing that phrase over and over since the 6th grade. Make it something new and interesting to them. I hope that was a good answer. 

When I mentioned Shakespeare to his "must-read" question he asked me why it is a must-read. We got off on a tangent about Shakespeare and about how I would teach it. I told him the dramas are done over and over again, and I would like to teach one of the comedies, like I did during student teaching. He asked me what skills I would want my students to get out of reading Shakespeare. Again: 0.o After some round-about answering and discussion, apparently he was looking for what skills would they practice with Shakespeare that would be transferable to other lessons/tests. 

It was brutal, and didn't go as well as I hoped. Although, I can't imagine preparing for that kind of interview. Every principal is different and will ask different questions and be looking for different qualities in a teacher. He asked if the job was something I was interested in, and of course I said yes. He asked if I would schedule any other interviews with other schools, and I said that I wouldn't turn down the job he just offered me because it sounded like a great opportunity for me, and he was gracious enough to take the time to interview me... (and take a chance on a new teacher, which I didn't mention, but seriously...I don't know what I did to get a principal to take a chance on me mid-year...) 

Anyway. I guess I could start as early as Monday. It's all up the CCSD HR to double-check my paperwork and draw up a contract. 

But you know what's the most incredible about all of this? The amazing, wonderful, super-awesome support system that I have. I have so many people who are rooting for me and are willing to help me out. I couldn't do it without them, and they know who they are, because I've thanked them profusely. My support system is what keeps me going and dreaming about success in this career. My bravery, courage, and willing-ness to take risks (like this job offer), would be non-existent without everybody backing me up. So, thanks guys. Your cheers and support are everything. Thank you. 

On to the next stage of my journey! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it went pretty well to me you crazy lady. Lol.

    ReplyDelete